Dave Heynen No Comments

Boat and Camper Coverage

As the dog days of summer are now in full swing, many of you are out enjoying the great outdoors.  This is a great time of year to go camping or take the boat out to the lake.  Some of the best vacations I have been on are at the lake.  At Famers Mutual Insurance we know that your camper and your boat can be sizable investments.  

We are here to protect them and to give you peace of mind when you are on the highway, in the campground, or at the lake.  

Common Camping Claims

  • Hail Damage
  • Wind Damage
  • Fire
  • Collision

Common Boat Claims

  • Wind Damage
  • Propeller Damage
  • Fire
  • Collision

 If you have a place at the lake, you can also insure your boat hoist and/or dock with Farmers Mutual.  

We hope you have a great time with your campers and boats, and want to remind you that we can provide the coverage you need for your property.  

Check out our webpage at for a list of agents in your area who can help get your property covered with Farmers Mutual Insurance of Hull.    

Dave Heynen No Comments

Sewer & Drain Coverage

Even though it has been dry this Spring, it is important to remember that it is still Spring.  Typically, May and June are some of the wettest months of the year.  We know that in Iowa weather patterns can change quickly, and when they do we can get large downpours of rain in a short amount of time.  That is when you need your sump pump and foundation drainage system to work at it’s best.

We would like to remind you of a few things you can do to make sure that your sump pump will be working when you need it most

Does Your Pump Turn On?

Simply check to make sure that your pump still turns on.  Sometimes pumps that have not needed to pump for a long time actually “freeze up” from rust, corrosion, or scale build up and will not come on when they are needed.  To test your pump, simply remove the lid from your sump pit and fill the pit with water to the point that it lifts up the float.  If your pump does not turn on and pump out the water, you will need to investigate and see if it is frozen up, the motor is dead, or the breaker is tripped.  Taking care of this problem now will insure that your pump is working when you need it. 

Will You Know If It Doesn't Turn On?

Consider adding an alarm to your sump pit, or located near your sump pit.  A second line of defense of knowing when your pump has failed can be a life saver.  Alarms come in all different price ranges and capabilities.  I would suggest looking online by searching “sump pump alarm” and finding which one would fit you best.  This can be an inexpensive way to prevent expensive damage from an overflow. 

Two is Better than One

Consider purchasing a “dual pump” system for your sump pit.  This system has two pumps that sit side-by-side and both fit in a standard sized sump pit.  The advantage of the dual pumps is that if one pump fails, the second will kick in.  This will prevent your pit from overflowing and flooding your basement.   Most of these can be purchased for a reasonable price.

Make Sure You're Covered

Make sure you have adequate sewer and drain backup coverage on your homeowners insurance policy.  This is an additional endorsement that is not typically included in the base coverages of most homeowner policies. 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to call our office at 712-439-1722.

Dave Heynen No Comments

Equipment Breakdown Coverage

Equipment Breakdown Coverage has been available on our policies for just over 10 years now. 

What started out as an unknown “add on” coverage has proven itself to be a very valuable addition to any farm or homeowners policy, as it covers the following items and many more:

  • Air Conditioners
  • Furnaces
  • Refrigerators
  • Dishwashers
  • Generators
  • Heat Pumps
  • Irrigation Systems
  • Water Heaters

In the first year we offered it, we had 3 claims.  

So far this year we have already had over 75 claims.  

Let’s go over some of the basics of this coverage.

There are actually two ways to add this coverage to your policy. 

The first option is to add it to your Farmers Mutual policy.  This coverage is actually provided by a company named Mutual Boiler Re.  They are based out of Malvern, Pennsylvania, and are experts in handling this type of coverage.  

Through a partnership with our reinsurance company Grinnell Mutual, we have the ability to provide this coverage on any farm, home, or dwelling fire policy.  

The claims are submitted by our mutual, and adjusted over the phone by Mutual Boiler Re.  This process may seem a little complicated, however, we have found that this has actually worked very smoothly over the years.  

If you ever have a question on your claim, you can call in to our claims manager, Jerry Keizer, at 712-439-1722 and he will be able to help you. 

The second way is to add this coverage to your IMT personal or farm liability insurance.  

This will require that you have an IMT liability policy.  This coverage is provided by a company named Hartford Steam Boiler in partnership with IMT.  The claims will be handled by Hartford Steam Boiler

Both Mutual Boiler RE and IMT provide a very similar coverage.  

Why add this policy?

It fills a gap.

Mechanical failure is not covered under your Farmers Mutual policy.  

This policy will cover mechanical failure on appliances and home or farm equipment that utilize electricity.  

So, this equipment breakdown coverage fills that gap nicely.  

Here's a review of how you can get equipment breakdown coverage

Equipment Breakdown Insurance Summary

Provided by Farmers Mutual Insurance 

Option 1: Add to Farmers Mutual Policy

  • Delivered Through: Farmers Mutual
  • Claims Handled by: Mutual Boiler Re
  • Covers Equipment on Farms, Homes, or Outbuildings
  • Average Cost per Year: $40-$100
  • Deductible: usually $500

Option 2: Add to IMT Liability Policy

  • Delivered Through IMT Insurance
  • Claims Handled by: Hartford Steam Boiler
  • Covers Equipment on Farms, Homes, or Outbuildings
  • Average Cost per Year: $40-$100
  • Deductible: usually $500


The cost of the coverage depends on whether it is for a farm or home, but the price range is typically between $40 and $100 per year.  The deductible can vary as well, but is typically $500.   

If you have any questions about this coverage, or would like to add it.  Please contact your current Farmers Mutual Insurance agent, or see our agent locator to find an agent near you!